Sunday 29 April 2012

If You Go Down To The Woods Today…!

 It’s been a busy couple of weeks, full of mid-semester exams and assignments. As well as uni work I’ve been continuing to nest record on campus with good numbers of Coots now on eggs and 4 broods having already hatched. The Tufted ducks also look to be on eggs as all of the females have ‘disappeared’!

P4160010

As well as nest recording up the road myself, Chris and Kane have begun recording down in Manchester and North Wales. We now have over 250 nest records on the go between us, hopefully with many more to come.
It’s been a great experience so far finding different nests and ringing the pulli. I’m finding it a real benefit to my training as I have very little experience of passerine pullus ringing.

photo (2)
Woodpigeon Chicks

Most definitely the pullus ringing highlight so far has been these cute little Tawny Owl chicks that Kane found in a natural hole.
 
IMG_9985

IMG_9998

I’ve also been benefiting from nest finding with Kane as I am learning what to look for with certain species to find their nests and also which of these species I need to take extra care with when monitoring. My best finds so far would have to be Greenfinch and Robin.

photo
Robin nest found hidden deep in this grassy tussock.

photo (1)

Everytime I come away from Manchester I feel that I have learned something new and I enjoy being able to put my new found ‘nesting skills’ to the test up in Stirling.
 
DSCF5014
Blackbird Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment