Saturday 4 February 2012

Just Another Day In The Office!

I'm really enjoying my time here at Slimbridge and will really miss it when I have to leave next week to go back to uni. One of the best things about working here is that you never know what's going to happen next. My favourite surprise so far was last week when I had a knock on my office door from Maurice telling me that the reserve warden had just taken a good catch of ducks and needed a spare pair of (ringer's) hands! Of course I leapt out of the office, along with Kane and Maurice and got myself over to the wee duck hut. 

Male Teal

It was a brilliant wee session where I got to ring my first Teal, Pintail and processed a beautiful Gadwall! It was nice to run into fellow ringer Ian Lees who helped us out in the duck hut too.

Teal awaiting processing.

It was not only great to handle these new species but to learn how to age them, which can be quite tricky on ducks at this time of the year.  

Male Pintail

Special  thanks goes to Dave Paynter for inviting us along and teaching me about the ageing of these new species.

No comments:

Post a Comment