Saturday 11 June 2011

CES and Swallow Pulli - Thursday 9th June 2011


The weather was good on Thursday with little wind so we decided to go for the CES ( Constant Effort Site). The ringing group for the CES on Thursday consisted of Cedwyn Davies, myself and Cedwyn's trainer Heather Coats. We arrived just before 6am to put up the nets and set the usual 7 nets in the reserve. We had a good catch of 52 birds consisting of Blackcap, Blue Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Song Thrush, Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Great Tit, Bullfinch and Robin.

Juvenile Blackbird
We caught a lot of juveniles during the CES, many of them being Blackcaps. I find it very interesting to compare their plumage at this age.


Me and Cedwyn comparing juvenile Blackcaps

I left the CES at 9.30am to go back to the centre and ring some Swallow pulli ( chicks) with Tony Jenkins. I ringed 5 Swallows with Tony and we went around the grounds and checked on the House Sparrow terrace. The House Sparrows have unfortunately failed again this year with no nests recorded, the same as last year :(



Swallow Pulli

When I arrived back a the CES at around 10.15am I discovered that I had missed a large mixed flock :( Typical! The rest of the morning went well. After we packed up we all went up to the centre afterwards for cake and chips!


Juvenile Great Tit
  Later on that day, as I was locking up the bird hides, I saw my first Mute Swan cygnets of the year in front of The Heron's Wing hide.
  
Mute Swan cygnets at WWT Llanelli


No comments:

Post a Comment